Looking for the perfect lunch pick me up with the extra roasted chicken you have in your fridge? Chicken salad is always the answer. There are a million ways to make and eat chicken salad but during these COVID times, it’s a nice challenge to look around your pantry and see what you can do it elevate your favorite childhood snack.
Like all recipes, and especially the way Zachary and I write ours, we typically write them as a GUIDE. If you don’t have apricots, don’t be scared to swap it out with dates, or golden raisins, or even fresh apple. Of course there is a time and a place to follow a recipe to the T but learning how to use a recipe as a guide will truly make you a better cook.
Don’t be afraid to take away an ingredient or add more- for example, DILL and TUMERIC would be a great addition to this recipe… but we didn’t have it, BUT if we did…..
Roasted Chicken Salad with Cashews+Apricots+Yogurt on Toasted Sourdough
- Roasted Chicken (1 thigh and 1 leg) already roasted, without skin, shredded
- 1/4 small red onion brunoise
- 2 stalks celery brunoise
- 5 pieces dried apricot brunoise
- 1/4 cup cashew toasted and crushed
- 1/4 cup yogurt we always have plain Icelandic in our house!
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 2 pieces Sourdough sliced 1" thick and toasted
- Shred your cooked chicken in a small bowl
- Mix together the rest of your ingredients (red onion, celery, apricots, cashews, and yogurt)
- Gently fold in shredded chicken
- Salt and Pepper to taste (Heavy on the black pepper… always!)
- Serve on toasted sourdough and garnish with herbs you have laying around